13 March 2012

Tell me and I forget...

March - a month where gardeners everywhere start to get excited about the growing season ahead. For me that means I'm back doing what I love - helping communities set up gardens and teaching people how to grow vegetables.

Amongst other commitments I'm helping three gardens a week in different towns and villages in Carlow and Kilkenny, with another due to start up in a few weeks time. I've written a few posts on how and why community gardens are so great (see the tab at the top of the page for links) but today's post isn't about that. Today's post is about why I enjoy working with them...


Benjamin Franklin's quote sums up precisely why community gardens can be so good - practical, hands on, community involvement where people can learn.

I heard another quote today which also captures the essence of community gardening. As I can't find the original author, I'll credit it to Peter Donegan who mentioned it:

"gardens are for people and not just the plants"

If you're involved in community gardening a group of us are in the process of establishing The Community Garden Network (supporting community gardening in Ireland and Northern Ireland). We have an active  facebook group and a dedicated website is on it's way giving us a permanent home to connect.

If you want to learn more about gardening and growing vegetables, perhaps there's a community garden somewhere near you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment on my posts (if only to let me know that someone is reading them!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...